Essential kit for a walking holiday – and a competition
I am hosting a competition to win a pack of South Tyrol walking essentials and treats. See below to find out more.
I also thought I’d tell you my list of essential kit for a walking trip, as well as a couple of items that I can’t travel without.
The key for packing when heading off for a multi-day walking trip is to be lightweight. I don’t want to be weighed down by the rucksack so I make sure I pack as little as possible.
However, there are some essentials to ensure I stay safe while walking. These include:
- Garmin GPS
- Waterproof jacket and trousers
- Lightweight down jacket
- Hat and gloves (even in summer in Scotland)
- Sunglasses (even in winter in Scotland!)
- Spare baselayer
- Sun lotion
- Bead torch (in case of emergency after dark)
- Lots of snacks
- Mobile phone loaded with ViewRanger app
I pack all this in dry bags inside my rucksack or make sure that my rucksack is fully waterproof or has a raincover. If I am camping a dry bag, stuffed with spare clothes, makes a great pillow.
For walking trip I wear:
- Baselayer top, short-sleeve and long-sleeve
- Mid-layer jacket that is windproof
- Running tights
- Walking socks
- Walking boots (summer o winter depending on the season and weather)
- Buff (to keep my hair out of my eyes and my ears warm)
If I am wild camping I also pack:
- A super lightweight one-person tent
- Inflatable Therm-A-Rest sleeping mat
- Lightweight down sleeping bag
- Camping stove with pot and a spork (plus a lighter!)
- Simple food, such as dehydrated pasta meals.
My walking treats
- I always take chocolate and cans of Cola. They offer a great boost when energy is running low and although I rarely choose to eat and drink these times in my normal life when on the hills they taste amazing.
- A bridge camera that is compact but still takes amazing pics. A bridge camera offers a good compromise between.
- For overnights I’ll carry a small whisky flask filled with my favourite whisky or a small bottle of wine.
Win a South Tyrol walking pack
Walking company Inntravel has launched a #SouthTyrolWalking campaign for their new “slow” holidays. These are trips that reveal the lesser-taken path and that offer bespoke holiday experiences at a slower pace. One great place to try slow walking holidays is in South Tyrol.
There are more than 13,000 kilometres of natural, well-marked walking and hiking trails that lead through apple orchards, alongside ancient water channels and up to craggy mountain peaks.
Hiking in South Tyrol offers something for everyone, ranging from leisurely strolls at medium altitude all the way up to challenging treks amid glaciers and alpine lakes.
In partnership with the South Tyrol tourist board, Inntravel are giving away a South Tyrol Walking Pack to one lucky winner on this blog. The pack includes all kinds of goodies for a walking trip including a drinking bottle, multifunctional cloth/buff, mountain pine foot gel, a cloth bag, dried fruit (for natural energy) and a speciality flat bread and red wine.
To be in with a chance of winning you need to tell me in a tweet to @fionaoutdoors – that also includes @Inntravel and the hashtag #SouthTyrolWalking – what your one luxury treat item would be when packing for a walking trip or holiday. You have until July 28, 2015, at 5pm to enter.
<a Rafflecopter giveaway