Family adventure: Highland wilderness glamping with pack ponies
Outdoors provider Scot Mountain Holidays has created a new adventure holiday that I think will be great for families. The four-day trip combines comfortable wild camping with guided hiking and the assistance of native Highland ponies, Goldie and Foxglove.
Guests need carry only a day pack, including a change of clothing, while Goldie and Foxglove take care of the rest of the camping kit.
Comfortable wild camping
The wild camping takes place in Nordic tipis, which are more than three metres tall, so everyone can stand up inside.
A wood-burning stove provides warmth and that means you also have the advantage of being able to dry clothes.
In addition, warm camp showers and a camp toilet are provided.
The beds are made up with deep insulated mattresses inflated to your own desired firmness. Theses are overlain with a fitted sheet and a down duvet.
What about the journey?
You’ll walk with two guides through the Cairngorms landscape, including spectacular Caledonian pine woods and beautiful lochs and fields, with views to some of Scotland’s highest peaks.
The area is home to golden eagles, wildcats, ptarmigan, pine martens and capercaillie. More than 5000 different species have been recorded locally with a fifth of them being nationally rare.
Scot Mountain Holiday’s co-owner Andrew Bateman said: “It is off-grid escapism and a truly immersive and engaging experience with a chance to reconnect with nature. We believe it is a UK first for this kind of adventure.”
The four-day (three nights) adventure is fully inclusive and includes:
- Three days wilderness guiding with two guides/pony handlers
- Half-day expedition training
- First night’s accommodation at Fraoch Lodge, Boat of Garten, near Aviemore.
- Two nights’ wild camping
- All camping equipment, including camp beds
- All meals from lunch on the day of arrival (Day 1) through to lunch on day of departure (Day 4).
- Transport between Fraoch Lodge and the stables
- Inverness Airport/Aviemore Rail station transfers
- Prices start from £772.
- See Scot Mountain Holidays.