Campfire pizza recipe
If you love pizza – and so many people do – why miss out when you go camping? This recipe is easy enough to make at a campsite.
Campfire pizzas are surprisingly quick and easy to make and a great way to impress and please everyone camping with you.
With this tasty and easy campfire pizza recipe, struggling to motivate yourself to make delicious meals while living in the great outdoors will quickly become a thing of the past as you enjoy fantastic food around a campfire.
Campfire Pizza Recipe
This tasty campfire pizza recipe involves making everything (including the dough) from scratch, right at the campsite.
If you don’t fancy making your own homemade pizza dough from scratch (or just can’t be bothered), you can always skip this part and grab some store-bought pizza dough, although we think it’s far more satisfying to make the whole thing yourself!
Makes: 2x 10” pizzas
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 packet rapid-rise yeast
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 cup warm water
- 5 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 mozzarella ball, shredded
- Any combination of toppings!
- Handful fresh basil leaves (to serve)
- Blend the flour, yeast, and salt together in a large mixing bowl, briefly mixing with a fork.
- Add warm water and 2tbsp oil to the mixing bowl and use a fork to mix until a dough begins to form.
- Once the mixture starts to look doughy, use your hands to kneed the dough until all ingredients are well incorporated, and the dough forms a smooth ball.
- Cover the dough with a tea-towel or plastic wrap and leave to rise for 20 minutes.
- After approximately 20 minutes of rising, turn the dough onto a chopping board and cut it into two equally sized pieces.
- Add 1tbsp oil to a preheated cast iron campfire Dutch oven and swirl it to coat the entire base of the oven.
- Place one of your dough halves into the pan and use your fingers to spread the dough towards the edges.
- Drizzle another 1/2tbsp oil along the edges of the Dutch oven, then place it on the campfire and cook for 3-5 minutes. The bottom should have firmed up and should be starting to turn golden brown.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the campfire (be careful as it will be incredibly hot) and use a pair of heat-proof tongs to lift the pizza crust out and flip it over, returning it to the pan uncooked-side-down.
- Spoon half the tomato sauce over the pizza crust and spread it evenly, leaving a small border around the edge, then top with shredded mozzarella and your desired pizza toppings. Choose bacon, pepperoni, or ham if you are a meat-lover yourself, but feel free to incorporate any type of tofu instead for a vegan-friendly pizza.
- Place the lid on the Dutch oven, then cook for 3-5 minutes until the pizza crust turns golden brown and the cheese is nicely melted.
- Remove the lid after approximately 3 minutes to allow the steam to escape.
- Once the pizza is cooked, remove the Dutch oven from the heat. Carefully transfer your campfire pizza to a plate, then repeat steps 5-12 with the second half of the pizza dough.
Notes: With this delicious and incredibly easy campfire pizza recipe, creating your own tasty pizzas from scratch is a breeze. No longer will you feel the need for a $300 pizza oven; once you’ve mastered this recipe, you’ll realise that campfire pizza is just quick, easy, and delicious to do.
Although this campfire pizza recipe already makes enough dough to effortlessly create two Dutch oven campfire pizzas, you might still end up wanting to double the recipe. We’re sure other campers from miles around will want to get a taste of this yummy campfire treat. Plus, leftover campfire pizza makes a fantastic camping breakfast, so don’t worry if you don’t manage to eat the whole thing!
We love to use a variety of different toppings on our pizzas, so no two are ever the same! Some of our favorite toppings include cherry tomatoes, thinly sliced fresh mushrooms, bell peppers, black olives, jalapeno peppers, and fresh spinach. Experiment and play with your toppings to create your own unique perfect pizza.
And don’t forget a sprinkling of fresh basil leaves for an authentic Italian finish. The freshness from the basil really does take this delicious homemade campfire pizza to a whole new level.