Walking charity Ramblers Scotland has launched a free beginner’s guide to navigation. The guide takes the form of a series of new videos – filmed in Moffat, Dumfries & Galloway – to tackle one of the biggest barriers to getting out into nature: The fear of getting lost.
A recent Ramblers study revealed that 21% of people between 18 and 54 cited concerns about getting lost as a reason why they didn’t go out walking.
A Beginner’s Guide to Navigation
Made up of 17 short, accessible episodes and packed with tips, tricks and tactics, A Beginner’s Guide to Navigation is free to access at ramblers.org.uk/navigation and is designed to demystify the art of navigation and equip everyone with the skills they need to go out to explore.
The videos are presented by experienced mountain leaders, including Ramblers Scotland’s Out There Award co-ordinator Sam Knight and its Arran-based vice-president Lucy Wallace.
Each video is around two minutes long and structured to guide viewers from the basics of reading a map to more advanced techniques.
Sam, from Edinburgh, said: “With the nights drawing in and harsher winter weather on the way, it’s the perfect time to develop your navigation skills, regardless of whether you’re a beginner or a seasoned hillwalker.
“It’s been great to work with our vice-president Lucy to create a range of simple films that provide bitesize guidance and share our passion for navigation. It demonstrates that it’s fun to learn and you can practise it anywhere, even around your local area. We hope that these videos help walkers to enjoy safe days out that are memorable for all the right reasons.”
More details: A Beginner’s Guide to Navigation
- The user-friendly tutorials are tailored to cater to individuals with little to no prior experience, making them accessible to everyone.
- The videos promise to be jargon free and easy to follow.
- The training covers physical maps and navigating with your phone.
- Learn fundamental techniques, from map reading to compass basics
- Understand how to find your way in different surroundings
- See A Beginner’s Guide to Navigation at ramblers.org.uk/navigation.