I try to be as fit and healthy as possible but it doesn’t always happen. So here is my list of top 10 healthier New Year resolutions. (In no particular order.)
- Run more: I have been plagued by stomach problems when running but I miss running. So I plan to build up my running with shorter runs in February, slightly longer runs in March and so on. I hope to find ways to keep the stomach issues at bay.
- MTB more: I want to become a more skilful mountain biker and the best way to do this is to go out MTB’ing more. I might also try another MTB skills course.
- Get back on my road bike: I don’t like road cycling in the winter but I have a couple of big triathlons to train for so I need to fix the puncture in my back tyre and get out on my road bike.
- Drink less: I rarely drink a huge amount but I do drink alcohol most days. I plan to stick to a three dry days a week regime.
- Eat more fruit: I am a vegetable fan but I find fruit a bit of a faff and kind of boring. I am looking at new ways to eat fruit (for example, juicing it) or trying different fruits.
- Complete a half ironman: I have raced a few sprint triathlons and one or two Olympic distance triathlons. This year my aim is two half Ironman distance triathlons. See My 2015 goals blog.
- Go horse riding: My daughter is a keen rider and I am not. But I pledge to go for a trek with her in 2015 to see what all the fuss is about.
- Walk more Munros: I have 100 Munros to go to complete a full round of 282 Munros. I hope to walk as many as possible in 2015.
- Eat less bread: Bread makes my stomach sore but I really like it. I hope to avoid it as much as possible in 2015. Gluten-free bread will need to be the mediocre substitute.
- Encourage others: My Munroaming group on Facebook now has more than 200 members. I want to encourage more people to get out and enjoy a healthy form of exercise by walking the Munros.
I was asked by Legal and General to come up with my health and fitness resolutions for 2015.