The Raid Pyrenean is a must-do ride for keen cyclists. With stats of 720km and 11,000m of ascent in 100 hours it’s an attractive proposition for riders who like a challenge.
But for too long the regional airline timetables for northern England and Scotland have made it a bit of an ordeal even to reach the start line of the Raid Pyrenean, forcing most people to take two flights and all the associated costs of bike carriage, or fly direct and sort transfers by trains or bus yourself.
Now a bike tour company has come up with a smart-thinking solution. Marmot Tours (I’ve holidayed with them in the Pyrenees on the Classic Cols trip so I can vouch for the good quality of these trips) are offering a summer exclusive: Northern Special » Raid Pyrenean departure.
Putting aside the usual airport pick up and drop off points, Marmot have designed their transfers for this special week (June 7 to 13) around flights in and out of Manchester and Edinburgh airports. This means that people who want to ride the Raid Pyrenean can use direct flights by EasyJet and Ryan Air, and save a fortune.
The Marmot Tours Northern Special is for June 7 – 13, 2015 and is priced at £900.
What is the Raid Pyrenean?
A challenging ride, cyclists climb most of the famous cols in the Pyrenees, including tough ascents such as the Tourmalet and Aubisque. The route also includes the quiet and beautiful back roads and passes of France’s southernmost mountain range.
As one rider put it after completing the Raid: “As I sit at my desk my mind is constantly wandering back to the Pyrenees and I find myself strangely addicted to the pain (and exhilaration) of climbing an 18km col. What has happened to me?!” (B Wilkes, June 2014.)
What does a Marmot Tour include?
- 4.5 days supported riding.
- Route notes/descriptions and colour maps of the Raid Pyrenean route.
- Official “Raid Pyrenean” registration, medal and certificate for successful Raiders.
- Airport transfers
- Medical, mechanical and moral support from two customised vehicles.
- Six nights B&B accommodation (supplemented breakfasts), all evening meals with table wine
- Cycling snacks, fruit, cake, nuts etc during the ride
- Marmot Tours Raid pack: Raid musette bag, 750ml water bottle, Raid Pyrenean velopac.