Kit review: Eschenbach Compact Binoculars
The G-Force like to carry pair of binoculars with him when out and about walking and climbing. He was keen to update an old pair to something lightweight but high powered. The Eschenbach Secktor F 10 x 25 Compact Binoculars arrived for review and he was delighted to try them.
Eschenbach Secktor F 10 x 25 Compact Binoculars
- Small and handy: Compact fold-up binoculars fit into a small space in a rucksack or travel bag.
- Magnify: x 10
- Wide field of view: Wide-angle optics facilitate observation of moving objects.
- Optimal colour accuracy and sharp images thanks to “phase-corrected Bak-4 prisms and fully multi-coated lenses.
- Lightweight: 292g
- Weatherproof thanks to a waterproof housing and nitrogen filling that prevents misting of the internal optics if the temperature fluctuates.
- Accessories: Carrying strap, case, dust protection
The size of the binoculars were chosen for lightness, convenience and ease of stowing in a rucksack.
The G-Force says: “Although I know that larger binoculars would bring benefits in terms of how much you can see further afield, there is a balance to be struck in terms of what you want to carry with you on a walking or climbing trip. I need the binoculars to fit into my rucksack and offer no discernible extra weight.
“The Eschenbach Secktor F 10 x 25 Binoculars did just that.”
G used the binoculars for spotting wildlife, including sea eagles on the Island of Colonsay and red deers in Glencoe, and also for checking out climbing routes, watching other climbers on routes and better views of the wider landscape.
G reports: “My old compact binoculars seem very unclear and shaky compared to these new Eschenbach binoculars. The Sector Fs are small and compact yet offer great field of vision and focus. I found them to be the perfect weight for offering a steady view and it was easy to adjust the focus to locate what I was looking for.”
In particular, G liked the x10 magnification, which he describes as “clear and bright”, the field of view of the 25 mm lens “for the size of binoculars”, steady viewing capabilities, robust, durable and waterproof rubber casing, useful protective case and lens covers as well as a neck strap.
Escheenbach have been making optical instruments for more than 100 years. You can buy the Sektor F binoculars on-line for around £115.