Kit review: Salewa Ortles 2 Gore-Tex Pro jacket and pants
You may well have seen the photos on social media or the Sunday Post article about our wedding on the snowy slopes of Fernie Alpine Resort in British Columbia. On that special day, my choice of outfit was not a white dress but bright red and blue Salewa Ortles 2 Gore-Tex Pro Jacket and Pants. The photos look fabulous, if I do so so myself!
The Ortles 2 Gore-Tex Pro products are designed for alpine mountaineering, ski touring and ice climbing and made with a three-layer shell of waterproof and breathable GORE-TEX Pro membrane.
Features of Salewa Ortles 2 Gore-Tex Pro jacket:
- Gore-Tex Pro membrane
- Welded seams
- Brushed lining for soft touch and wear
- Plus soft inner collar for increased comfort
- DWR outer treatment
- NG 3L High Tenacity
- Salewa’s Free Motion design to prevent hem-lift while climbing.
- Helmet compatible fixed hood with double adjustment on front and back
- Waterproof front zip with internal windproof flap
- Underarm zippers for ventilation
- 2 chest bellow waterproof pockets for increased capacity
- Inner zipped pocket
- Interior pocket for smartphone
- Elastic hem adjustment system with cord locks
- Velcro-adjustable cuffs
- Athletic Fit
- Price: €550
- GORE-TEX Pro fabric
- DWR outer treatment
- Reinforcements at side, elbow, knees, innerleg hem, backside and shoulders
- Edge and crampon protection
- Waterproof two-way zips for ventilation
- Integrated gaiters
- Cuffs with hem hooks and loops for attachment to mountaineering boots or ski boots.
- Flat side set adjustable waistband system
- Waistband with conforming elastic inserts
- Gusset for freedom of movement
- Flat zipped pocket on the upper thigh
- Ergonomic pre-shaped knees
- Price: €450
On test: Salewa Ortles 2 Gore-Tex Pro jacket and pants
If you plan to ski mountaineer, tour or climb in winter you need a serious design of jacket and pants. They must be hardwearing, comfortable to wear, useful in all the right places, waterproof, windproof and breathable.
If they also look really good then that’s a bonus (especially if you plan to throw in a spontaneous wedding to the trip!)
I wore the jacket and pants in very cold and windy conditions in Canada, in sunny but still chilly conditions, for ski touring, bootpacking, downhill skiing and to get married on a high mountain slopes.
I have also worn the full outfit for a day of ski touring in Scotland.
I felt very confident in the products. They are extremely well made, robust and durable. They fabric is all that you would expect from Gore-Tex Pro. It is strong, waterproof and breathable.
When it gets so hot that you start to sweat (because you are working hard in the mountains) there are plenty of zips to offer extra ventilation. I would recommend that you use these venting zips because otherwise the fabric becomes sweaty inside.
The sizing is also roomy and allows for extra layers underneath. The length and athletic fit are perfect for my physique.
The features I really appreciate are:
- Ventilation zips under the arms and at the sides of the legs
- Zip grips that can be operated while wearing gloves,
- Chest pockets so anything you carry does not get in the way of rucksack waist straps
- Inner security pocket
- Adjustable hood that fits over a helmet
- Long arms and torso in the jacket
- Adjustable waistband in the pants
- Lots of fabric reinforcement when most needed such as around the hem and at the bum
- Great look thanks to flattering fit and colourways
There are a couple of things that annoy me about the jacket and pants. There is no two-way front zip in the jacket. This is really frustrating when you’re trying to access pockets in a jacket underneath. I kept my smartphone in a pocket in a down layer under the Salewa jacket to protect if form the cold but to access it I had to under the front jacket zip from the top.
The Salewa pants are a size small but I felt that the waist was too big even when pulled in to its smallest setting. The pants have a tendency to fall down. It would be good to have a greater ability to reduce the size of the waist or add shoulder straps.
Conclusion: I love the look, fit and performance of the jacket and pants. They are my go to for all ski touring outings and for many days of downhill skiing. On very cold days I chose to wear a more insulated Salomon jacket and Decathlon ski pants. (See engagement photos!)